Sunday 1 February 2015

STORY: Animal In Charge Part 1. by Ayodeji Isaac


                                          Excerpt from the Movie Dawn of the planet of apes.
   
   We knew we were in trouble when the Animals finally took over. At first we counted it as nothing when Animals started improving technologically, they started making and driving cars, operating machines. They had their currency and banks. It was an odd experience, the Animals gradually stopped being scared of us Humans, and they started demanding equal rights. Eventually, they started taking over communities and then towns and cities and later countries. The Human race finally woke up and knew she was in big trouble. Humans were supposed to be in charge; that was the norm, but suddenly what we called 'norm' was gradually fading into obsolescence.
      I was in my room preparing for work when I heard a scuffle going on outside, I carefully peeped through my window and saw a Tigress and my neighbour Mark, engaged in a struggle. Apparently the Tigress didn't want Mark to join her on the bench. Normally, you would expect a sane young man to flee in fear of the brutish roars of the animal but Mark stood his ground and instead, picked up a long metallic rod. I was in awe and admiration of his bravery. My mood lift was short-lived, though. A pack of tigers soon arrived and tore him apart, his yells reverberating throughout the area. No one dared come out to save him; it was one man for himself. The only reason I was able to get in and out of my house safely was because my car was parked right in front of my door, so I didn't have to walk for long before getting into my car.
   The media was buzzing with activities; different people had different explanations for what was happening to the human race. There was the religious perspective; they claimed that it was the end time, the long awaited return of Jesus Christ. The scientists also brought up the idea of evolution; they supported it with the idea of Mate to Save. They felt if humans mated with animals, they would create a supreme breed of Ani-humans. Crazy as it sounded, it was accepted by some. Then there was the theory of the 'Sympathetics'; they opined that humans were only paying the price for the wickedness and sadism inflicted on the animals. Hence, the animals were here to settle the scores. Nemesis, they called it. They offered a way out though; that we Humans take off our garments of pride and with humility, try to make peace with them. It was during that period we knew the statistics of animal extinction were wrong. Tigers, elephants and many animals thought to be going extinct trooped out in their thousands when the 'Animal Revolution' began.
         Despite the hunger and passion I showed for Economics, my course of study when I was in school, I ended up working as an ambassador for the UN.  Interplay of factors which included my father and a couple of other minor issues forced my entry into the world of inter-governmental organisation and administration. At first I was cold and inactive; I was only interested in getting paid and feeding my young family. But as time went on, interest started brewing, especially when I discovered my verve for peace making and international settlements. People started taking notice of the bright and vibrant young man who was successful in ending various international conflicts. In just 5 years, I was the head of the world peace making committee. It came as a surprise to me, but like in the words of the General Secretary as he congratulated me... ‘I deserved it, I couldn’t waste this chance'.
       My phone was buzzing almost every minute with meeting notifications. I was not a fan of personal assistants so, most calls got to me directly.  The recent turn of events made everyone edgy and jittery.   Surprisingly, all the nations of the world were in unison, they were eager to end this scourge, Within two days there had been almost six meetings, six intense sessions of discourse, all in an effort to end it all. I brought up the idea of making a deal with the animals, like some sort of bargain.  There was only one thing Animals hadn't understood, that was the secret behind speech. They had the intelligence, the valour and the numbers. They also had the unpredictability and element of surprise due to their multifariousness but they still couldn't comprehend the language of the humans. At first we thought Humans could use this to their advantage and try to trick our way back into power but we failed, they were just too united, they were ferocious and merciless. Our scientists discovered a potion that could clear the vocal box and give the ability of speech, the contents of the potion were secret but it worked, it has been tested over and over in the lab. It was called the Voice maker.
         I brought up an idea; perhaps if we offered to give them the Voice maker, they would reconsider everything and maybe have mercy. A lot of the leaders rejected my idea; they felt it made Humans weak and that it could give the animals “undue advantage”.   It got so bad that some started accusing me of spying for the animals due to the inappropriate nature of my idea. I shook my head in pity, if only they knew how much suffering people were going through. This wasn't the time to be proud, the needs of the people should come first. The animals, if offered an attractive deal could allow us access to the hospitals and food. But the leaders thought otherwise, they were trying to outsmart each other by dropping different ideas on how to 'win' the animals. They all wanted a war and without more ado they were already drawing budgets for the weapons and provisions, the continuous talk of “millions of dollars” caused uproar from within my soul, I stood up angrily and blasted all the leaders, I gave a long heart piercing speech of how the needs of the people should come first and not their selfish gains, I also said that he war wouldn’t solve anything but instead would only endanger the life of our citizens. They were shocked, I could see it on their faces; I finished my short speech/outburst and sat down. After minutes of absorbing the after effect of my speech, the meeting was adjourned till 3 weeks time and that when a final decision would be made. I left the building with strange stares and whispers all over, I guess the notion was ' how could just a random young man talk to us like that, who does he think he is..Blah blah blah...'
            It was the D-day; the final meeting at the Federal House. As I left the car and walked into the building, my mind wasn't settled, I was anxious of the final decision that would be taken. I prayed silently that they agreed to my idea. To my surprise, the hall was empty. I wasn't a typical 'early comer’ so I wondered where they all were, I sat and waited hoping they would join me. After thirty minutes, I was frustrated and angry, it was supposed to be the final meeting and nobody showed up. As I was about walking out of the building, the Secretary General called me from behind; I could tell his voice even in my sleep. He apologised for the absence of everybody and said they had made a final decision earlier. I was livid but tried hard to keep a calm face, he continued and said that they agreed to make peace with the animals, I smiled and nodded in agreement. He then said I would be in charge of the negotiations; I was expressionless, neither showing happiness nor sadness. I couldn't argue, I brought up the idea and it would be my job to execute it.

2 comments:

  1. Be careful what you wish for. Now you'd have to execute your idea after much rejections, Fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are happy you enjoyed reading this piece,thanks a lot and keep reading TheFACET.

    ReplyDelete