Saturday 4 July 2015

ONE, TWO, STRIKE!

   It sure isn’t great when you’re supposed to be a serious student and you start missing classes. Your serious classmates start to look at you with that eye that says, ‘Dude, what on earth is wrong with you? Do you want to fail?’ Yeah, right. As if. Lecturers are disappointed and other students just jubilate, ‘At least they’re not going to be the only unserious ones.’ Witches. But these don’t stop you… at least they didn’t stop me when I decided to miss a whole day of classes. Ah ah! Man has to rest nah. So, it was not surprising when I got to school later that day, after missing the day’s classes and I got the above reactions.
   What was surprising was that I was told we wouldn’t have classes the next day… or the day after that, or the day after the day after that (catch my drift?). What? I just stayed home for one day and I was bored to death, what would I do with so much time on my hands? I then asked for the reason and I was told somebody told somebody that a lecturer said he wasn’t sure though but he thinks that NASU is going on strike. Why did this have to happen? Couldn’t they wait until I was done with the university? Hia!

   In Nigerian universities, most students come in with the knowledge that they would spend more than the normal time they are supposed to spend in the university because they’re assured that somebody will go on strike. I took government in secondary school and I was told that strike action is almost the last resort that any worker would take.

   Although, I stand to be corrected, it looks like for every Nigerian, especially those in the universities; strike actions are the first port of call. You don’t get paid for months, you go on strike, you don’t get some of your dues, you go on strike, if anything happens, you go on strike. While I am not saying that this is not the right of the individual, the fact remains that everything we do has a ripple effect on other people. Doctors go on strike, people die like fishes. ASUU goes on strike; students come back to school as fathers and mothers. Students Union goes on strike, students get idle. NASU goes on strike, people might die of boredom. Lol. On a more serious note though, NASU goes on strike and the school calendar becomes disoriented. Many people have other plans. Some people have to work to get themselves through school; many have jobs lined up to coincide the finish of examinations. Many things happen… many things as a result of strike actions taken. Afterwards, we have to ask ourselves, ‘Is it worth it?’

   The fact that the government has grown a hard shell to strike actions in Nigeria is cause for concern. It’s like they think, ‘You want to go on strike? Bye bye. No one cares anyway.’ It is disturbing how they let the recent ASUU strike go on for 6 whole months, it’s like they don’t have our interest in mind. It is evident that going on strike actions does not help matters or it does not help matters fast. Any way we put it, one thing we know is that something needs to change and change fast.


   Oh and I heard SSANU might go on strike on Monday, 6th July, so you’d better start considering what trade you’ll learn.

                                                                                                                                 NUT

No comments:

Post a Comment